I have written creatively for as long as I can remember; essays, short stories and more recently a novel (under review at several publishers & looking for a home).
For 17 years of my life I also worked in the corporate sector as a day job, holding a number of positions managing departments in the fields of customer service, parts supply, general administration and reverse logistics. I learned a lot about business writing in this time and developed valuable skills like report writing, creating and presenting proposals etc.
I now work as a full time writer, undertaking diverse projects in both the fiction and non-fiction categories. Mostly I write articles, promotional material, web copy and any other interesting assignments that come my way.
Most of my fiction is written for my own purposes, but I have done some ghost writing & proofreading for others as well.
For me writing both creative and factual material works well together, my factual writing benefits from a conversational, fiction style voice and my fiction from greater organization and structure.
My key focus area is working on assignments that combine my love of creative writing, expertise in non-fiction writing and business experience in a multi-faceted yet complete solution for my clients.
Mobile +27 (0) 72 225 8074
To download a copy of my Curriculum Vitae (Resume), click the link below - or scroll down to read a copy of it online.
Curriculum Vitae – Darrell Cuthbert
• Passionate writer, blogger and reader
• Creative mindset
• Social animal – love meeting and sharing ideas with interesting people
• Good PC and internet skills
• Child of the outdoors - when I’m not working I’m often to be found camping, hiking or
just standing outside staring at the sunset
• To indulge my passion for all kinds of writing; practicing, learning new skills and
exploring as many genres and styles as I can in the process
• To combine my passion for writing with my knowledge of and experience in the
business world and provide a service to businesses needing creatively written
• To expand my knowledge of social media and their importance as a premier
marketing space today and into the future.
• Continue to establish myself as a leading writer of articles and other online and
offline content – being respected for the quality and integrity of my work
• Continue to develop a network of content and business clients with whom I have
established mutually beneficial relationships
• Complete and publish my current in-progress novel (currently at second draft stage)
• Complete and publish my second collection of short stories and become recognised
as a leading figure in this genre
Telephone (Cell) +27 72 225 8074
Location Durban, South Africa
Freelance Writer – Self Employed
3 December 2009 – Present
• Generating marketing and promotional copy (local & international), directly for clients and through
• Writing and submitting short fiction to as many markets as possible, online and offline
• Assisting others (including a local writers group) prepare work for self-publication; manuscript
formatting, cover design, liaise with POD publisher and other parties, set up social media presence
• Business writing – providing a service for smaller businesses that do not have writing skills as a core
competency (e.g. smaller, more technically focused businesses with no in-house marketing / PR
• Specialized service for small to medium sized local businesses with little or no internet presence
• Website registration & assistance with setup
• Write all site copy, based on information supplied by client
• Generate weekly blog content & post to social media (Facebook / Twitter etc.)
• Assist with setting up social media accounts, growing following and managing interactions
Corporate Career History
Defective Returns Manager – LG Electronics South Africa
1 December 2008 – 2 December 2009
In my role as head of the returns department at LG Electronics SA I was responsible for the overall
defective returns process - from customer claim, through the reverse logistics chain until resale of subgrade
goods. Volume handled was approximately 3,000 units per month. Key areas of responsibility
• Overseeing the Return for Credit team (1 supervisor & 5 claims clerks). This team was responsible for
capturing & initiating credit claims received from customers by fax, email etc. as well as handling the
admin component of all subsequent processes
• Overseeing the collection of all claimed units from customer premises & return to LG warehouses in
JHB, CPT & DBN (operational issues handled by a co-ordinator who reported directly to me)
• Directly managing LG Defective Return Warehouse (10 warehouse staff) in JHB & supporting the
CPT & DBN warehouses. Warehouses were responsible for receiving & inspection of returns &, after
credit is passed, dispatch of products to seconds dealers
• Analysis of units being returned by model / store etc to ensure unnecessary claims & returns are kept
to a minimum
• KPI management & reporting results to top management
Parts Manager – LG Electronics South Africa
1 August 2005 to 30 November 2008
In my role as head of LG Parts Department I was responsible for the purchasing, importation, storage &
distribution of all spare parts for all LG products in Southern Africa. Key areas of responsibility included:
• Predicting demand for spare parts for all consumer products supplied by LG Electronics S.A.
• Setting minimum, maximum & re-order levels for spare parts
• Maintaining adequate stock levels to ensure immediate fill rate targets are kept.
• Ordering of spares from Overseas Branches and local suppliers
• Reconciling arrivals against orders and inspecting goods for suitability
• Overseeing of binning, storage and dispatch of spares
• Ensuring that repairs awaiting spares and back-orders are kept to a minimum
• Managing a staff complement of 8 permanent & 7 temporary workers (including 1 supervisor)
• Controlling the distribution of spares to local branches & service agents, as well as agents in Namibia,
Zambia, Botswana, & Swaziland
• Overall control of LG Parts Inventory
• Preparing management reports on departmental performance / KPI’s
The Soundlab (Pty) Ltd (Custom Electronics Importer / Distributor):
15 April 2004 to 31July 2005
Administration Controller – Responsible for all support services including:
• Warehouse / Stock Control
• Building & Vehicle Maintenance
• Supervised Service & Parts Function
Sony South Africa
1 December 1998 to 31 July 2003
• 1 December 1998 - 31 October 1999 : Branch Spares Controller (Durban)
• 1 November 1999 - 31 March 2000 : Deputy Manager, Parts (JHB Based)
• 1 April 2000 - 31 July 2003 : Parts Manager
• Retrenched at the end of July 2003 Due to outsourcing of spare parts
Samsung Electronics South Africa
1 January 1993 to 30 November 1998
• January 1993 - July 1994 : Customer Service Co-Ordinator.
• August 1994 - November 1995 : Acting Service Manager.
• December 1995 - April 1998 : Service Manager - Gauteng.
• May 1998 - November 1998 : Assistant Manager – Spares Dept.
South African Meat Board
1 July 1990 to 31 December 1992
• July 1990 - March 1992 - Abattoir Official.
• April 1992 - December 1992 – Hides & Skins Grader
• National Service 1988 - 1989 (Provost School - Voortrekkerhoogte)
• 5 camps completed therafter
Queensburgh Boys High School 1983 – 1987 (Natal Senior Certificate / Matric)
Northdene Primary School 1981-1982
Sarnia Primary School 1975-1980