- Have a web developer design and build it for you, or
- Set it up yourself – usually via a pre-built template based system
Whichever route you choose to follow there are 4 basic elements to any effective small business website. The first of these is:
Here are some tips to bear in mind when it comes to choosing a design and color scheme for the website:
- Make use of colour schemes and images that are appropriate to your company and industry. For example a colour scheme that uses lots of bold, bright primary colours accompanied by cartoon characters may work well for a nursery school (kindergarten), but are unlikely to be the best choice for an accounting firm or law practice.
- Use design elements sparingly and make sure they don’t distract readers from the page text or make it hard to read.
- Aside from serving as a distraction or hindrance, excessively complicated designs may also slow down page loading. This is especially relevant if a many of your target customers make use of limited or slow internet connections.
Remember that design and imaging elements on a business website are there to frame and showcase the content on the site, not replace it. A website is a vehicle for content so the design must be driven by the type of content that will appear on the site – not the other way around.
© D Cuthbert 2013